So, you would like to be a hotel manager? It can be a very rewarding position and it’s definitely one of the most prestigious positions in the hospitality sector. As with any employment path, you have to be willing to relocate it if you want to get to that dream position. Before you start, you’ll want to be certain this is the career you want. Read on to learn everything you need to know about starting a career in hotel managing!
What Do Hotel Managers Do?
As a hotel manager you would oversee all facets of operations in the hotel in which you work. Yes, your duties go far beyond the front desk. Here are some of the things you’ll manage as a hotel manager:
Front desk; checking guests in and out, meeting the desires of guests individually and making future reservations
Adviser and tutor to front desk employees
Making sure the hotel has the needed cleaning, food supplies as well as guest amenities
Handling client complaints and seeing to it that they get satisfied
Filling in when there is a lack of employees in any area of the hotel (banquet server, general engineering, bartenders, etc …)
What Kinds of Skills do I Need to be a Hotel Manager?
As with any job, there are some desirable skills for each position. Having most of these skills might make you a better candidate for becoming a hotel manager than a job seeker who didn’t possess them. The hotel manager must possess specific skills and be trainable. Here are a few common skills for hotel managers:
– Great phone personality (for making reservations and handling calls)
– A good leader
– Ability to remain calm when dealing with angry customers
– Good accounting skills
– Organizational skills
– Great listening skills
– Flexibility (the hotel industry gets busy and you could get flooded with overtime; you will also have to endure cross training which requires being flexible)
How Can I Become a Hotel Manager?
If you’re set on becoming a hotel manager you’ll want to know where to start down that career path. Here are a few helpful tips:
– Take a class in hotel management
– Participate in a work-study
– Get a job at a hotel (whatever job, as you will have the opportunity to learn all aspects of the hotel industry once your foot is in the door!)
Benefits of Becoming a Hotel Manager
A hotel manager has lots of benefits, such as:
Discounted hotel rates
Learning all aspects of the hotel business
Helping make customers’ stays memorable
Watch the franchise grow
And Best of luck!