Herbal medicines have been considered one of the best healing techniques for curing many types of diseases. Herbal medicines are based on using many natural plants and roots. However, one of the types of roots that seems to be widely used in herbal medicines since ages is ginseng roots. Therefore, ginseng roots have been quite in demand not only nationally but internationally too. Growing ginseng needs detailing to avoid death of the crop as well as ensuring that the quality of the roots is best. In addition, it is also to be noted that growing ginseng is a lengthy process and involves years of effort to get a good yield. So, here is a broad look at how to grow ginseng:
1. Ginseng grows well shady place. Therefore, ensure that your Ginseng growing land is well shaded and receives an annual rainfall of nearly 20-40 inches.
2. The best time to plan for Ginseng cultivation is to start planting the seeds or roots in the fall from approximately September to February so that it will sprout sometime in the spring.
3. Though Ginseng is capable of growing in all kinds of soil. It is better you get a soil testing analysis as the best type of soil for Ginseng growing is loamy and moist with an ability to drain water quickly. It is suggested to avoid swampy and hard clay soil. In addition, ensure that the soil has pH content between 4.5-5.5 and contain acid level too. The calcium level should be somewhere between 3000-5000 pounds per acre.
4. Before getting into planting and harvesting Ginseng, ensure that you have taken the necessary government permissions because some countries need permission for growing Ginseng and also declaration of the quantity you plan to produce from the land.
5. Ensure that the seeds are moist till you sow them, because, Ginseng seeds dried out means that they have died and are of no use
6. When Ginseng seeds produce in wild, they do not sprout the following year. However, to achieve sprouting in the following year when in the wild, it needs a yearlong stratification. Stratification is a process wherein the seeds lose the flesh of the berries that cover the seeds so that they can sprout
7. While sowing Ginseng seeds remember that they perform best in late fall or early winter. In addition, ensure that the planting happens when the soil is moist.
8. If you wish to grow the Ginseng seeds in the wildest conditions and have large quantity of seeds, it is suggested that you just scatter the seeds across the land
9. As it is known that the Ginseng seeds produce well, the land is moist, ensure to keep the land covered with either of the raked off leave or with mulch
10. More than the natural threats, Ginseng crop is more prone to threat from poachers as it is a very valuable crop. Therefore, ensure that the land under cultivation is safeguard well.
In addition to the above mentioned broad points of growing Ginseng seeds, for those who are getting into it and need thorough knowledge, can read the Mahendra Trivedi reviews that speak about various agriculture industry based issues.